Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Welcome to my blog

Hey Friends!! Thanks for visiting my blog. After a lot of tribulation, I finally decided to create my own little place in cyberspace. This is meant to be a place where friends are welcome to visit, chat, share their ideas and hopefully work towards building better understanding of different cultures. That is the main purpose of my blog- " Celebrating Diversity and Building Harmony" .

Well first of all let me introduce myself. I am a Muslim female from Pakistan who has had the good fortune of travelling and been exposed to different cultures.  I have worked on international and national-level education, social enterprise and community projects in Pakistan, Australia and UK and is a marketing communications professional who also has a passion for humanitarian work.  I am passionate about respecting cultural diversity. Having lived  in four very culturally diverse places - Middle East, Pakistan, Australia and the UK she feels that ‘peace’ and ‘tolerance’ can only be achieved when we truly accept this diversity, learn to accept our differences and, where possible, complement each other. My personal journey as a twice new migrant is full of meaningful lessons. 

After spending almost five years Downunder, I chose to move to the pinnacle of modern civilisation- London! . It was fun discovering the many places that I had only so far passed through on a Monopoly board game. The rhyme “ Pussy cat Pussy cat where have you been? … “ kept playing in my mind as for a second time I found myself struggling to create my identity as a new migrant in the land of the Queen.

My own personal take on different cultures is that its like a beautiful patchwork quilt made by God, with each piece adding value to the entire quilt- the human race. The fine stitches that bind us together sometimes run smoothly, but are mostly rugged and sometimes attached at very difficult points. Only when we handle these difficult stitches with care and treat them with love can we feel the full warmth and glow of this beautiful quilt.

How do you think we can work together to create this harmony and celebrate diversity?

Lets keep the conversation going.

Sha

4 comments:

  1. I must say it is an excellent work. Your initiative is really commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Faizan. Need your feedback to keep this going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sha
    I have just visited and inspired by your thought and views as always
    keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rabia. Please do comment on 'New Beginnings'. Your perspective is very valuable. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Taking Love for granted

Do you make your loved ones feel valued or do you take them for granted?